Wednesday, December 19, 2007

One Week Ago


One week ago today Big Bird got the call. It is hard to believe it has only been a week. What a whirlwind we have all been through.

My deepest respect goes to the donor family. I cannot even begin to imagine what they are feeling. They made the hardest and most selfless choice any one person can make-and for that my family and I will be forever grateful.

I ask everyone to consider being an organ donor. It is the one greatest act of service you can do. The blessings of that choice reach so many people beyond the lives that it saves. You can visit the Donate Life website to learn more about becoming an organ donor!

Dustin got this really cool liver shaped pillow from the TX education coordinator. We have been having everyone that has helped in his liver tx from the surgeon to his nurses sign the pillow. What a great memento to take home.

He showered today, what a relief, his mop was looking quite greasy...he certainly needs a haircut. I offered to shave his head with the dog shears when we got home, it wasn't as amused as I was. hehehe

Today he is experiencing a slight rejection episode, he bili was up a few points. The hep doc and surgeon both said it was normal and "not to worry". They are upping the Prograf meds tonight and also doing some steroid iv this evening to combat that. His spirits are doing very well. He is eating better today. He is also walking the hallways 2-4 times a day. He set up for about 7 hours today as well.

We were hoping to go home tomorrow, but they want to watch the drugs a bit more, so it is looking like Friday or Sat. discharge. That is ok with us, he wants to go home, but at the same time is ok with staying for however longs he needs to be.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That's so wonderful to hear how well things are going. I know I say it a lot, but it is. I was lauging about the dog sheers. LOL. Thank you for posting about the donor info. Like I said, I was once registered when I lived in Oregon, but TX didn't have something like that when you 1st get your dsl here. I'll forward this info to everyone. It's definitely a wonderful gift to give to someone else and their family! I too am so grateful that someone else gave Dusty and you guys the gift of life!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that he is making such wonderful progress! Must be all those balloons :) hee hee hee. Can't wait to see you guys when you get back!

***BREAKING NEWS- Big Bird had his Liver Transplant on Wednesday December 12, 2007***

Adventures in Big Bird's Liver World is an account of the daily adventures, trials, frustrations and workings of living with PSC. My brother, aka Big Bird, was diagnosed with PSC in 2000, after battleing UC for many years. He was listed for a transplant in May 2007. We now await the infamous "call". In the mean time, this is where we vent, poise questions and ramble about life, doctor appointments, illness, good days & bad days.